Re: XServer broken after upgrade (ATI Radeon 7500, Sony Vaio GR316MP)

On Die, 2002-11-12 at 12:27, maininip@post.ch wrote:

> I'm running Debian unstable on a Sony Vaio GR316MP-Notebook.
> I was able to set up XFree as delivered on unstable to work correctly
> for the ATI Radeon 7500 and the Vaio's LCD with 1600x1200 pixels.
> Last friday (8th of November), I upgraded via apt-get update / apt-get
> upgrade and since then my XServer is broken, I only see diagonal
> lines. Mouse seems still to work, also I'm able to login via gdm
> (I see the colors of my gnome-desktop-wallpaper), but its all displayed
> as those diagonal lines. I thought this would probably have to do
> with horiz/vert refresh and I fixed that with no effect. Also, replacing
> the XFree86Config with the original one didn't work around.
> Have there been some changes in the X-server, especially the ATI
> driver last week which can cause this?

What packages exactly are you using? The output of

dpkg -S /usr/X11R6/bin/XFree86

would be helpful, as well as the output of dpkg -l for the package(s)
that yields.

> Can I revert to the older Version? If yes, how can I do it?

The old .deb should still be in /var/cache/apt/archives, downgrade with
dpkg and then put the package on hold.