Re: m68k buildd's without 1.5GB of free disk should not attempt xfree86

[m68k-build whacked from headers]

On Wed, Oct 09, 2002 at 01:26:32PM +0200, Juliusz Chroboczek wrote:
> JL> I don't know XDirectFB, but the kdrive servers are probably
> JL> better served being compiled against a uclibc (yes they compile
> JL> cleanly against the newer uclibcs). Unless the idea is to use
> JL> Xvesa as a failsafe X server for intel. Else what's the point?
>
> I do see Xvesa as a failsafe alternative to the stock servers, and I
> would like to see it used in graphic installs.  However, I agree that
> to some people Xvesa may also be useful as a single-floppy X server,
> and I think it's a good idea to build it against uclibc by default.

Grrr.  You realize, of course, that to accomodate both groups we'd need
two packages.  Most Debian installers are going to be glibc-based, and I
doubt they can afford to have two libc's on the system.

I guess I need to come up with a good way of figuring out how to copy
only the needed portions of the build tree for a servers-only compile,
without this being unrealiable.

It would also be nice if the XFree86 build process could be told to
export headers for libraries instead of compiling them as well.

A servers-only build compiles Xlibs because the X server needs the X11
header files in the exports directory.  Apparently Imake doesn't know
how to express "just export the headers, don't really compile the
library".

If we had that it would really cut down on consumption of time and
space.

--
G. Branden Robinson                |    Men use thought only to justify
Debian GNU/Linux                   |    their wrong doings, and speech only