Re: i810 in X 4.1/2

On Sun, Aug 25, 2002 at 03:14:59PM -0700, Jim McCloskey wrote:

> I just upgraded a Dell Optiplex with the onboard i810 graphics
> controller from potato to woody.
>
> It's great to have integrated support for the i810, rather than having
> to futz around downloading special drivers from Intel.
>
> I have one question: is there any advantage to be gained from
> explicitly setting a value for VideoRam in the "Device" section?
> Nothing in the docs at the Xfree site suggest this, but I've seen
> recommendations here and there on the net that it can be a good
> idea. The log at present reports:
>
> (II) I810(0): I810CheckAvailableMemory: 95228k available
> (==) I810(0): Will alloc AGP framebuffer: 8192 kBytes

In XFree86 4.0.1, at least, the amount of video RAM available allocated
in the absence of a VideoRam line on i810 machines was something like
512kB.

Too little for most people's purposes.

Maybe this is different now?

> On a separate (I think) matter: there's a slight but annoying flicker
> at the moment on the screen. How might I eliminate this?

Don't know about that.

What refresh rate is being used?

--
G. Branden Robinson                |      The noble soul has reverence for
Debian GNU/Linux                   |      itself.