Re: XF4.2 packages think Alt is Meta

On Fri, Jun 21, 2002 at 12:33:43PM -0500, Branden Robinson wrote:

> I'd appreciate input from the people on this list as to the impact of
> XFree86 4.2 on 2) and 3).  Are those goals truly in conflict?  Is this
> only a problem for people with buggy window managers?  How many Debian
> users use window managers that are buggy in this way?

I'm not at all certain it's true it's buggy. IMHO A-F and M-A-F
are two different key combinations. If your window manager
assumes you meant A-F when you press M-A-F, that's ok with me.
But calling a window manager that doesn't have such a
'drop-trhough default' policy _buggy_ is a bit much.

If I had to choose, I'd call the other window manager buggy, or
at least inconsistent, because if it treats A-F and M-A-F as the
same, but doesn't treat A-F and S-A-F or C-A-F or C-S-M-A-F as
the same (and you haven't defined actions for those other
bindings), then that's broken.

As you see, it's probably a matter of design. Or taste.

--
John Lenton (john@vialibre.org.ar) -- Random fortune:
We are all worms.  But I do believe I am a glowworm.