Re: XF4.2 packages think Alt is Meta

On Fri, Jun 21, 2002 at 05:42:06PM +0200, Juliusz Chroboczek <jch@pps.jussieu.fr> was heard to say:
> >> Your window manager is buggy.  In 4.2, the ``Alt'' key carries both
> >> Alt and Meta modifiers.
>
> > Yes, as I explained before, I found the source of the bug: X's
> > keymappings changed to be (a) less useful, and (b) different from
> > previous versions.  I don't see how you think my window-manager is
> > buggy, when X is the one providing bad information.
>
> X is binding *both* Alt and Meta to the Alt key.  Your window manager
> is buggy if it doesn't recognise that the Alt key has *two* modifiers,
> and thus the ``Alt + m'' combination should match a binding for either
> A-m or M-m.

  That doesn't solve my problem, though.  I didn't mention all the
ramifications because I thought they were obvious, but here's a hint:
the reason I use Alt to bind window-manager commands is that Meta is
used by Emacs...

> > Anyway, I finally just remapped my keys to something sensible.  If you
> > don't fix this before X4.2 hits unstable,
>
> The 4.1 configuration makes the 102 key layout incompatible with the
> 104 key one.  The 4.2 configuration makes the 104 key layout a strict
> superset of the 102-key one.
>
> This was discussed in depth on Xpert, and the 4.2 layout reflects the
> rough consensus reached.  I may be wrong, but I seem to recall Branden
> as saying that he doesn't care either way.

  Ew.  Well, I guess that if the X people don't care, and Branden
doesn't care, I'll just have to hack around it myself.

  Daniel

|                              The Turtle Moves!                              |
\------- Listener-supported public radio -- NPR -- http://www.npr.org --------/