Re: Screen noise on disk IO

Hi

I'm also seeing the screen noise that you describe. I too have
an integrated S3 Savage chipset and am running Xfree 4.1.0-11
(I also downloaded the appropriate S3 driver from
http://www.probo.com/timr/savage40.html - savage_drv.o v1.1.20t
as the one supplied with Debian X 4.1 crashed and locked my machine
every time I started X-windows. related to bugs 128125, 111611 and 110974)

Returning to the screen noise specifically my chipset is :

(from lspci -v)
01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: S3 Inc. ProSavage PM133 (rev 02) (prog-if 00 [VGA])
        Subsystem: Holco Enterprise Co, Ltd/Shuttle Computer: Unknown device 0686
        Flags: bus master, 66Mhz, medium devsel, latency 248, IRQ 10
        Memory at dd000000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable)
        Memory at d0000000 (32-bit, prefetchable)
        Capabilities: [dc] Power Management version 2
        Capabilities: [80] AGP version 2.0

But the information I can find on the chipset
http://www.via.com.tw/pdf/productinfo/dspm605brief.pdf
indicates that the chip should have no problem with the resolution....

I am using 16384kB of system memory and the /var/log/Xfree86.0.log
indicates 17 modes found for resolutions up to 1600x1200

I can hardly believe you got a screen resolution to display if the chip
didnt support it perhaps there is another answer ?

Yours
Cormac