Screen noise on disk IO

Hi,

After getting my embeded S3 Savage chipset to run XFree86 4.1.0
by downloading the appropriate driver from S3 (see my previos
mail a little below) I have now a new problem:

During disk operations white noise (like dropout lines, but not through
the full screen width) appears to the right of onscreen objects like windows.
It's difficult to explain, but it looks like those windows are bleeding
to the right for about 5 cm, and the noise is varying.
That it occures on disk IO is just a guess, as I can't hear the hard drives,
but it usually happens while waiting for something, like Gnome to load.

Has anybody some idea, what might cause this, and how to get rid of it?

Many thanks for your help in advance!
best regards,
Balazs