Re: ATI Mobility Radeon Patches

Lars Steinke <steinke@hpcip00.physik.uni-freiburg.de> writes:

>> Alternatively, is there any work-around I could use in the meantime?
>
> Sure use the X11 Framebuffer driver (with the radeonfb driver in Linux 2.4),

Thanks, I just compiled 2.4.17 with radeonfb as a module.  When I
ran startx, it complained about no devices.  So I tried "modprobe
radeonfb".  This caused my machine to lock up and my display to
gradually go an awful shade of white, like it was melting.  So
I quickly pulled the power cord out.  The first three times I
tried to boot after this, my machine froze during the boot process
or within a minute after.  The fourth time it seems to be staying up.
(With no X.)

Did I do something wrong?  Could I have damaged my machine?

Dan