Re: ATI Mobility Radeon Patches

On Wed, Jan 09, 2002 at 11:05:00PM -0500, Dan Christensen wrote:
> Lars Steinke <lss@debian.org> writes:
>
> > I wonder if you had time to provide that patch set you mentioned on
> > http://lists.debian.org/debian-x/2001/debian-x-200111/msg00033.html
> > to Branden yet ? I downloaded a 4.1.99.1 binary package elsewhere and
> > found the Mobility Radeon M6 2D support to be sound, but to allow
> > accelerated glx the xlibsmesa3 package would have to be patched as well
> > it seems (only indirect rendering seems to be used according to glxinfo)...
>
> Lars, can you tell me where you got the binary packages?  I just
> got a Dell Inspiron 4100 with this card and would love to have
> X up and running.

Just use Google ;).

http://gort.metaparadigm.com/xfree86

You might need the patched radeonpanel version if you have one of those
SXGA panels with 1400x1000 resolution.

> Alternatively, is there any work-around I could use in the meantime?

Sure use the X11 Framebuffer driver (with the radeonfb driver in Linux 2.4),
that's what I did up to now. No 3D support, but fine for everyday work.
Using the VESA framebuffer driver in Linux is the solution for about any
new graphics hardware (with VESA BIOS that is)...

> How hard is it to install X from source?

It's not hard but takes patience and time....

Cheers,
--
       /(__  __|\          Lars Steinke, Stuttgart, Germany
      (    \/  __)_        Physicist & Tech. Supp. Engineer