mouse & other issues

hi there. ever since i switched to xfree86 4.x, i've had some extremely
irritating problems plague me.

let me describe my system a bit:

amd k6-3 500 on an asus p5a-b board
512mb ram
3dfx voodoo3 2000 agp 16mb
logitech 3-button mouseman serial
wacom graphire usb
xfree86 4.1.0-9

my first problem is described in bug #88536. the problem is that after i log
out of kde (started via kdm), and back in, the X server crashes when i change
resolutions. also, my middle mouse button registers as the right mouse
button. very irritating when i'm trying to copy & paste.

the mouse symptom does not occur with my graphire, nor on a different system
(also running x 4.1.0-9) with a mouseman hooked up via the ps/2 port. i can
only assume it's a bug in the serial-mouse code in xf86.

i've also run into another bug on different hardware... it seems that when i
run X with "X -indirect foo", when i double-click on a server to manage my
display, the X server restarts & my mouse stops working. it happens with the
ps/2 port & with a usb mouse. both mice work fine when i'm picking the
server, but neither work when i log in to it.

if i force the x server to use /dev/gpmdata and have gpm raw-repeat the ps/2
mouse, the problem goes away.

haven't filed a bug for the second issue yet.

has anyone else seen _anything_ like this?