Re: XFree86 4.0.2 status

On Fri, Jan 12, 2001 at 07:57:34PM +0100, Juliusz Chroboczek wrote:

> >> (Actually, I'd like to see next week's XTerm in Debian.  There are
> >> some pretty sweet patches pending.)
>
> CTS> I have a problem with uploading _next_ weeks xterm _now ;-)
>
> Please file a bug against the packaging system.
Against the packaging system??? xfree is packaged very well, actually I
really like the dbs very much, I only do not understand it well enough to
use it for my own packages, but I clone some parts sometime. But this is OT.

> I was thinking about upgrading to a server that has not yet been
> packaged.  Install server binary, install server modules, write config
> file, point your Xservers file at the new server.  Et voila.
Sounds neat, where did you get the server binaries and modules for m68k?
Would save me a lot of compilation time... even more OT

> With the libraries, you're pretty much bound to wait until they are
> packaged.  In addition, clients don't depend on a particular version
Just download the xfree source and build packages yourself... besides, the
libraries _are_ packaged, they are only not yet in testing.
You don't realize that my problems are with m68k. AFAIK there is no m68k
hacker in the xfree86 team, I did not hear from anybody who got x4.0 working
on m68k and it seems m68k support is still missing in some places.

But ok, I am squeezing everything but the server debs through the phone line
now. And _you_ take the complaints from the m68k users, when they are unable
to get this installed ;-)
I hope I hacked on the changlog ok, I did not remove the two files from
Binary:, only from Files:

Christian
--
First they ignore you. Then they laugh about you. Then they fight you.
And then you win. [Mahatma Gandhi]      http://people.debian.org/~cts/