Re: XFree86 4.0.2 status

On Fri, Jan 12, 2001 at 06:36:54PM +0100, Juliusz Chroboczek wrote:

> Some of us are particularly keen on getting the 4.0.2 client libraries
> (particularly Xlib and Xaw) as well as the most recent version of
> XTerm into a Debian release as soon as possible.  There has also been
> a lot of improvement in the selection of available fonts, especially
> for non-Latin-1 users.
OT: can you tell me how to get the applications use fonts as in 3.3.6?
Especially in gnome-addressbook, the font it uses now is UGLY and way to
large (resulting in the return of a parcel I sent to another developer
because I forgot a number in his address...). gnome-addressbooks docs were
not very informative.

> (Actually, I'd like to see next week's XTerm in Debian.  There are
> some pretty sweet patches pending.)
I have a problem with uploading _next_ weeks xterm _now ;-)

> Forgive me if I misunderstand your question, but there is no problem
> at all with running XFree86 4 client-side with a 3.3.6 server (or a
> non-XFree86 server, for that matter).
Thats what you say, but did you ask my computer? I will check that, if I
find the time. I am not sure if it works out with all the dependencies, it
was not too easy to upgrade to x4.0 by hand.

> >From a user's point of view, getting a distribution and upgrading the
> X server is a triviality; on the other hand, upgrading the client-side
> libraries involves some major hassle (possible binary compatibility
> issues, location of app-defaults, etc.)
apt-get update ; apt-get upgrade ; reportbug
what else are the users doing to improve stability?
(Yes I am being sarcastict, time to go home, good night)

Christian
--
http://people.debian.org/~cts/debian-m68k/potato