sawfish broken unstable dist

I'm pointing apt against both debian unstable packages
and helix unstable packages.  So the problem may be there.

Behavior is that, if Sawfish is set to be window manager,
the session collapses/breaks.  Logging on it blinks and
I get a login screen again.  If I set 'Debian' instead of
'Sawfish' I get enlightenment window manager (works fine)
but if I then try to reset to sawfish it goes belly up.

I don't need to work with sawfish, and I suppose may
make the most sense to drop the helix package sites.

==> ONE KEY QUESTION, SHOULD I BE DROPPING HELIX SITE?

Could someone advise and/or point me to doc on this?
I run RedHat on another system and have been happy with
Helix, so setup my Debian to grab Helix.  This worked
fine until about a month ago when it snapped.

==> WHAT IS THE RECOMMENDED DEBIAN way to do this?
I don't need to fight the river if sawfish isn't
supported in Debian unstable.

Clues?

TIA,
Heitzso