.xResources? how do you handle it in X4?

I had a couple of local settings (fonts, mainly) in ~/.xResources for X3,
and they don't seem to be recognised anymore.  I'm a bit lost, and in fact
can't even remember precisely what I had done to fix the settings before, so
I'd appreciate any kind hints.

The main thing I want to do is to replace font "fixed" with
"-cronyx-fixed-medium-r-semicondensed--13-120-75-75-c-60-koi8-r"
so I can communicate readily with russian friends.  I had this font set to
"fixed" somewhere, but can't remember where exactly, and it isn't working
anymore with the change to X4.  Doing it once, renaming "fixed" should let
me use a number of different resources at the same time in russian, namely
xterm/Eterm and emacs.

I have ~/.xResources saying:

emacs.font: -cronyx-fixed-medium-r-semicondensed--13-120-75-75-c-60-koi8-r
eterm.font: -cronyx-fixed-medium-r-semicondensed--13-120-75-75-c-60-koi8-r

but they aren't recognised anymore.  Eterm uses the default latin fixed
font, while emacs defaults to some bizarrely huge font that goes off the
screen.  I can set the font in emacs manually using M-x set-default-font,
but Eterm just chucks a fit if I try

$ Eterm -F -cronyx-fixed-medium-r-semicondensed--13-120-75-75-c-60-koi8-r

getting into an endless loop saying

"Eterm:  option -d requires a string value"

(I seem to have uninstalled xterm, so I don't know how it reacts).
By the way, is this a bug in Eterm?

So what is the proper way for defining my russian font to be the default
fixed font?

And speaking of fonts, why does Netscape look so bizarre in X4?  The menu
font is HUGE, just as with emacs, the letters appear twice as large as they
were in X3. I can change settings to fix the displayed font from web pages,
but I can't change the menu font easily.

Does all this make more sense to anyone than it does to me?

Drew

--
PGP public key available at http://dparsons.webjump.com/drewskey.txt
Fingerprint: A110 EAE1 D7D2 8076 5FE0  EC0A B6CE 7041 6412 4E4A