Re: need help with font problem in viewmol (boxes still... :( )

On Wed, Oct 31, 2001 at 12:44:45AM +1100, Drew Parsons wrote:
> Damn, I solved the problem.  The one change I did make to my X
> configuration, which was niggling at the back of my mind, was when I changed
> the fixed font (in /etc/X11/fonts/misc/xfonts-base.alias) to default to
> ISO10646-1 encoding to help the transition to UTF-8, instead of ISO8859-1.
> And this was precisely the problem.
>
> Changing fixed back to ISO8859-1 restores the lesstif applications.

It would appear, then, that Lesstif is only capable of handling 8-bit
fonts.

> (I only really need the ISO10646-1 font for xterm, so I've now got that
> working properly by putting
> xterm*font: fixed-utf-8
> into ~/.xResources).

Well, this isn't ideal, either.

For one thing, if you use uxterm this shouldn't be necessary.

For another, your specification is too broad.

XTerm.vt100.font:     10x20

I'd use a specification like that.

Finally, the name of the file should be ".Xresources".

--
G. Branden Robinson                |      When dogma enters the brain, all
Debian GNU/Linux                   |      intellectual activity ceases.