Re: Fonts in XFree86 4.1.0

On Wed, Jun 06, 2001 at 06:01:41PM -0400, Mike A. Harris wrote:
> The fonts are now all generated at build time from ISO10646
> masters correct?  Our 75dpi package went from 1.2Mb to 10Mb, so I
> looked in it and see ISO8859-[1-15] inside now.  The filenames
> seem much more organized now, but will require some different
> packaging.  Same for 100dpi fonts, etc.

I think what I am probably going to do for Debian is ship ISO 10646 and ISO
8859-1 in our existing font packages, and create new packages for ISO
8859-2 through -15.  E.g., "xfonts-base" and "xfonts-base-iso"

As a long range transition plan, I'd kick the 8859-1 fonts over to the new
-iso package, probably quite some time from now after either:
  1) the X server and xfs know how to recode from 10646 to 8859-* on the fly
  2) a significant portion of the client-side apps know to ask for ISO 10646
     (and better-specified fonts in general)

I reckon hell will freeze over before 2) happens unless guns are held to
the heads of toolkit programmers, so I guess I'll be holding out for 1).

Comments?

--
G. Branden Robinson             |    Suffer before God and ye shall be
Debian GNU/Linux                |    redeemed.  God loves us, so He makes us