Re: non-latin keyboard with unicode ?

On 03.VI.2001 at 02:14 Drew Parsons wrote:
> On Sat, Jun 02, 2001 at 02:48:16PM +0300, Anton Zinoviev wrote:
> > On 27.V.2001 at 04:00 Drew Parsons wrote:
> > >
> > > [...] and setting LC-CTYPE=ru_RU.KOI8-R.
> >
> > Set it to ru_RU.UTF-8 or else the keyboard will continue to generate
> > KOI8-R encoded Cyrillic.  Or better just unset it.  Your en_AU.UTF-8
> > locale should be able to handle Cyrillic.
> >

> No, I tried that.  I set LC_CTYPE to UTF-8 inside the xterm, but that's
> where I got the problem.
>
> Do you mean I should set the locale somewhere else?  Say, in the console
> where I run startx from, before X even starts?

Set it to UTF-8 outside xterm.  For example set it in some xterm, then
start in this xterm another xterm.  The new xterm should be able to
accept Cyrillic.

If you set LC_CTYPE in a xterm this affects only programs started in it,
but not the xterm itself.

Anton Zinoviev, zinoviev@debian.org

P.S. I apologize to Drew for a copy of this mail I send to him.