Re: Fonts in XFree86 4.1.0

On Thu, 7 Jun 2001, Branden Robinson wrote:

>Date: Thu, 7 Jun 2001 18:41:44 -0500
>From: Branden Robinson <branden@debian.org>
>To: devel@xfree86.org
>Cc: debian-x@lists.debian.org
>Subject: Re: Fonts in XFree86 4.1.0
>
>On Wed, Jun 06, 2001 at 06:01:41PM -0400, Mike A. Harris wrote:
>> The fonts are now all generated at build time from ISO10646
>> masters correct?  Our 75dpi package went from 1.2Mb to 10Mb, so I
>> looked in it and see ISO8859-[1-15] inside now.  The filenames
>> seem much more organized now, but will require some different
>> packaging.  Same for 100dpi fonts, etc.
>
>I think what I am probably going to do for Debian is ship ISO 10646 and ISO
>8859-1 in our existing font packages, and create new packages for ISO
>8859-2 through -15.  E.g., "xfonts-base" and "xfonts-base-iso"

So you'd put the 10646 and 8859-1 into xfonts-base (XFree86 main
package in our dist), and put all the rest into xfonts-base-iso?

That sounds the easiest to do for packaging.  I'm a bit concerned
of doing that for myself though due to the diskspace used.  I'll
do a test build tonight similar to that and see how it goes..

>As a long range transition plan, I'd kick the 8859-1 fonts over to the new
>-iso package, probably quite some time from now after either:
>  1) the X server and xfs know how to recode from 10646 to 8859-* on the fly
>  2) a significant portion of the client-side apps know to ask for ISO 10646
>     (and better-specified fonts in general)
>
>I reckon hell will freeze over before 2) happens unless guns are held to
>the heads of toolkit programmers, so I guess I'll be holding out for 1).

Yes, I agree, #1 seems the most sane to look forward to.  This
brings up 2 questions:

1) What can the X server and xfs each currently do WRT #1 above

2) What work needs to be done to xfs/Xserver to finish the job
   (itemized preferably), and how complex would this work be to
   get done?  What amount of timeframe would it take?

Anyone have any idea of the above?  Perhaps we could organize
something to get the necessary bits done.

Thanks for the comments Branden,

TTYL

Mike A. Harris                  Shipping/mailing address:
OS Systems Engineer             190 Pittsburgh Ave., Sault Ste. Marie,
Red Hat Inc.                    Ontario, Canada, P6C 5B3
http://www.redhat.com           Phone: (705)949-2136
Latest XFree86 test RPMS:      ftp://people.redhat.com/mharris/testing