Re: S3 ViRGE MX continued

On Sun, Feb 25, 2001 at 11:15:32PM -0500, Kevin Brosius wrote:

> Hi all,
>   I've put another test version of the driver up on the page above.
> Robert, Drew, if one of you would run this and post the log I'd
> appreciate it.  I doubt it will work any better than the 1.6.4 version
> (you don't need to test with any debug options) but it will print out
> enough info to tell me where the real problem is.

I've put up my new logs at
http://dparsons.webjump.com/X-s3virge/X-s3virge.html

> After testing it, it might be interesting to try the following:  Make
> another XF86Config file, changing the Modes line under the Screen
> section so it only contains the mode for your LCD screen size.  For
> example, Drew, one of your logs shows a LCD size of 800x600; for depth
> 16, change the Screen section entry:
>         SubSection "Display"
>                 Depth     16
>                 Modes   "800x600"
>         EndSubSection

Done.  Behaviour is the same, except it goes straight to the partially
legible screen without going to the blue screen + white-bar cursor first, as
you'd expect, I suppose.

> For this case, I'm primarily interested in testing the mode that XFree86
> detects in your log, so if the log file indicates something different
> than your standard LCD panel size on the following line, let me know.
>
> (--) S3VIRGE(0): LCD size 1024x768, clock 68.988 MHz
>
> (That's a line from Robert's log...)  This last case isn't as important,
> but I noticed the MX driver code checks for LCD size to match the first
> mode line, and behaves differently based on that case.

I got
(--) S3VIRGE(0): LCD size 800x600, clock 42.443 MHz

(My screen - Toshiba 490CDT - is physically 800x600).

Enjoy.

Drew

--
PGP public key available at http://dparsons.webjump.com/drewskey.txt
Fingerprint: A110 EAE1 D7D2 8076 5FE0  EC0A B6CE 7041 6412 4E4A