Re: [oliver.poths@linsoft.de: XFree86 4.01]

Hi everybody,

Joshua Shagam <joshagam@cs.nmsu.edu> writes:

> On an x86 system running Woody:
>
> Package: libc6
> Version: 2.2-5
>
> Package: xfree86-common
> Version: 4.0.1-11
> > So there is no way it can be in testing.
> But the packages are in Woody (on the x86 architecture, anyway) nontheless.

Yes, I have this too. But the point is this.

To begin with testing (now woody) way better to put all the potato
packages in testing. When the times goes the packages in unstable (sid)
will go to testing.

So by now I have a woody machine but if I do a apt-get update (with the
deb files in source.list pointing to woody) I'll see that all the
available packages are older than what I have installed.

         For example, I've downloaded this file:

http://ftp.es.debian.org/debian/dists/woody/main/binary-i386/Packages.gz
                                      ^^^^^
it is in the woody distribution. But if I see the line about the
xserver-common it says.

Package: xserver-common
Section: x11
Installed-Size: 960
Maintainer: Branden Robinson <branden@debian.org>
Architecture: i386
Source: xfree86-1
Version: 3.3.6-11potato15

But XF4 is in unstable (sid). In the Packages file

http://ftp.es.debian.org/debian/dists/sid/main/binary-i386/Packages.gz
                                      ^^^
says

Package: xserver-common
Section: x11
Installed-Size: 208
Maintainer: Branden Robinson <branden@debian.org>
Architecture: i386
Source: xfree86
Version: 4.0.1pre2.RC3-1

So if you want to continue in the bleeding-edge you must point to
unstable(sid).

        I hope I've helped.

        Santi
--