Re: [mongoose@users.sourceforge.net: X upgrade policy]

* Marcelo E. Magallon <mmagallo@debian.org> [001212 16:39]:
>  [...] and Utah's has some advantages for some people.

And the one person who has seemed to be effected thus far did not take
the time and effort to put his packages on hold. :-P

>  > Whether it is better or worse, I am not prepared to make this sort of
>  > value judgement.
>  What value judgement are you talking about?  This is a (measurable)
>  technical issue.

Oh no, *time* falls into the equation as well. Getting GL on 4.0.x is
quite simple and fast -- recompile kernel to include AGPGART device and
the video card kernel module. Load it and the agpgart modules. Have the
following Loaded in the XF86Config file: GLcore, dbe, dri, glx.

Compared against Utah, at least the last time I looked at it, this is
really pretty quick and easy. Whether or not the features supported by
Utah are imporant enough to justify the work involved with getting it to
go is entirely dependent upon the applications one needs to run. For me,
I never missed the features. For mongoose (terry?), he obviously misses
the features of Utah, but not enough to ensure they wouldn't be
overwritten.

Yes, it is a value judgement, based entirely on measurable technical
details.

--
``Oh Lord; Ooh you are so big; So absolutely huge; Gosh we're all
really impressed down here, I can tell you.''