Re: Prepackaged indirected X terminal

Thanks, Karl, that is much neater than the way I was doing it.

What I'm trying to set up is this ...
The nameservers are all running xdm to catch broadcast xdmcp
requests.  These are given the chooser with a list of host
names that is automatically derived from the nameserver content.
Each calling server is thus indirected to the desired computer;
in many cases, this will be the localhost just like the default.

Why ?
I'd like to set this up because we have computers sitting around,
most of which are connected to a variety of experimental systems.
If two people want to work on the same system, or if the area
around that system is not conducive to placing a human nearby,
people simply grab the console of a nearby computer and work
normally.  It gets irritating fast, having to deal with a
display manager that starts applications locally when you
really want to run the apps on the target system.

Starting the X server from inittab with the -indirect option
implements this very nicely, but it is a pain switching each
machine over by editing Xservers and inittab, putting in the
tweaks that would normally live in Xreset (for a given server)
and making sure the command line options in inittab match up
with the values that were being used in xdm ... so it works!

Thus, I was wondering whether there was a clean way to have
xdm start (and restart) the X on the local computer, and send
the display off for an xdmcp indirect where it would normally
use the xlogin interface immediately.