VGA Textmode Restore Broken [Was: Re: Problems with xfree86 4.0.1d - Compac Armada 1500c (CT69000+DSTN)]

On Wed, Nov 08, 2000 at 11:03:52PM -0600, Sam TH wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 08, 2000 at 11:44:49PM -0500, Branden Robinson wrote:
> > On Wed, Nov 08, 2000 at 10:19:28PM -0500, Dan Christensen wrote:
> >
> > > - When I switch to a virtual console, it is quite dim.  This goes away
> > >   if I suspend and resume my machine, but it didn't happen before.
> > >   Any idea what's going on?
> >
> > This sounds like a problem with VGA textmode restoration.  Definitely
> > upstream.
> >

> I have also experienced this problem.  It becomes very dim the first
> time I switch to a virtual console, and then totally black the next
> time.  I'm pretty sure the last time I had to kill my X server, this
> fixed the problem, but as I don't do that too often, I'm not sure.

This is very interesting.  I've been having almost exactly the same
problem with the nv driver on the Hurd (upstream 4.0.1 with Hurd patches
- Branden's patches aren't in my source tree).  The console is very dim
after the first time I quit X, and blank on subsequent exits (I use startx
vice ?dm) and I have to reboot.  Unfortunately, I'm having problems
running gdb on X remotely and am not making much progress on this.
Yes, the problem does seem to be in the mode register save or restore
somewhere and definitely upstream.

> Has this been mentioned as a problem upstream?

Or should we file some bug reports?

Steve

--
Steve Bowman  <sbowman@frostwork.net> (preferred)