Re: X3.6/4 (woody) ct-Driver lockups

Seth Arnold <sarnold@willamette.edu> writes:
> * Dan Christensen <jdc@julian.uwo.ca> [001107 09:39]:
> > My machine also freezes completely when I try the new X.  I have the
> > same card, the CT65555, in my Transmonde laptop, and the machine dies
> > when I run startx or "/etc/init.d/xdm start".
>
> Several people have reported that having a fontserver listed in their
> XF86Config-4 files (such as "unix:/7100" (or is it "unix/:7100"?))
> causes X to hang, crash, or both.

Removing that entry from the font path didn't help, but thanks for
the suggestion.

Any other ideas?  In case it's relevant, I'm running the 2.4.0-test5
kernel.

Also, is there a good way to avoid all the fsck's I've been doing
over the past 24 hours?  I have a little loop that sync's the disk,
but booting is still slow.  Can my root partition be mounted readonly
while working on X?

Dan