Re: X3.6/4 (woody) ct-Driver lockups

I've checked this problem on my IBM TP235 which has CT65555,
and it seems that the offending part is vgaHWRestore() called
from chipsRestore() in ct_driver.c

I already reported this to chips list in XFree86, and am waiting
for answer from chips driver developers.

ISHIKAWA wrote that the current CVS source has the same problem on devel@JP
list, so this is the upstream problem, not the Debian specific.

In <[🔎] 87lmuvd02g.fsf@scratchy.dhis.org>,  on 07 Nov 2000 15:00:39 -0500,
 Dan Christensen <jdc@julian.uwo.ca> wrote:

> Seth Arnold <sarnold@willamette.edu> writes:
> > * Dan Christensen <jdc@julian.uwo.ca> [001107 09:39]:
> > > My machine also freezes completely when I try the new X.  I have the
> > > same card, the CT65555, in my Transmonde laptop, and the machine dies
> > > when I run startx or "/etc/init.d/xdm start".

> Any other ideas?  In case it's relevant, I'm running the 2.4.0-test5
> kernel.

I'm running 2.2.17, and the problem arises on my system. So the kernel
version is irrelevant, I think.

> Also, is there a good way to avoid all the fsck's I've been doing
> over the past 24 hours?  I have a little loop that sync's the disk,
> but booting is still slow.  Can my root partition be mounted readonly
> while working on X?

I want to know if this is possible, too.

--
  Taketoshi Sano: <sano@debian.org>,<sano@debian.or.jp>,<kgh12351@nifty.ne.jp>