Re: dexter making assumptions about font server (and screen resol ution)

Branden Robinson <branden@debian.org> writes:

> On Sun, Oct 22, 2000 at 03:45:41PM +0200, Torbjörn Andersson wrote:
> > Dexter seems to assume that I am running a local font server, which
> > I'm not.
>
> It doesn't assume you do, it assumes you CAN, which is true.
>
> > The problem is that as long as my XF86Config-4 contained the
> > line
> >
> >     FontPath        "unix/:7100"             # local font server
>
> Yes.  Read the next line as well.
>
> > X refused to start. The screen went blank and then nothing happened.
> > Commenting out the FontPath line above made it work again.
>
> I seriously doubt this.  If the font server isn't running and there are
> other font path elements defined, the X server will try to use them.

I've had the same happen on me with 3.3.6-10 on an out-of-the-box
potato.  For some odd reason the font server (xfs-xtt) crashed and
after I logged out, gdm never got around to showing a login dialog.
Turned out that the X server kept crashing with a "can't find font
fixed" message (well something to that extent).

FYI, my XF86Config says amongst other things:

  Section "Files"
      RgbPath    "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/rgb"
      FontPath   "unix/:7100"
      FontPath   "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/misc/"
  EndSection

and I have at least the following fonts packages installed:

  ii  xfonts-75dpi   3.3.6-2        75 dpi fonts for X
  ii  xfonts-base    3.3.6-2        standard fonts for X
  ii  xfonts-scalabl 3.3.6-2        scalable fonts for X

--
Olaf Meeuwissen       Epson Kowa Corporation, Research and Development