sawfish-capplet and Nvidia's driver

I have a machine on which I'm running the latest phase2 debs.  I have an
Nvidia GeForce 2 GTS, and I am using Nvidia's drivers.  3D stuff is really
fast, and X seems to work OK except that I cannot configure sawfish through
the gnome control panel.  Whenever, for example, I click the "focus
behavior" item under "sawfish" in the gnome control panel, the
sawfish-capplet goes off into lala land and consumes as much CPU as it can
get seemingly forever.  I am using the helix debs, but I think the same
problem occurs with the stock debian gnome debs.

Any ideas?

--
Thomas E. Vaughan <thomas.vaughan@nssl.noaa.gov>
CIMMS/NSSL, Norman, OK, USA