dexter making assumptions about font server (and screen resolution)

Dexter seems to assume that I am running a local font server, which
I'm not. The problem is that as long as my XF86Config-4 contained the
line

    FontPath        "unix/:7100"             # local font server

X refused to start. The screen went blank and then nothing happened.
Commenting out the FontPath line above made it work again.

While I view the output from dexter as friendly advice, rather than a
final decision, this was by no means obvious to me. Perhaps it should
have been, but... The last line in my /var/log/XFree86.0.log was

    (II) XINPUT: Adding extended input device "Generic Mouse" (type: MOUSE)

which had me barking up the wrong tree since I thought it meant there
was something wrong with the mouse configuration.

This happens both in phase2v17 and phase2v20. (I know this because at
first I thought it was a problem with the CVS snapshot that v20 is
based on, so I reverted back to v17 only to find that it still didn't
work. Had me worried for a while there, I can tell you.)

(I know this isn't a support list, but is there any reason I should
have a font server installed, considering that my computer isn't
connected to any network whatsoever?)

I don't know what the future plans for Dexter are, but it would be
nice if it would let me choose maximum screen resolution since the
default behaviour apparently is to give me 1920x1440 which is far too
much for my taste. Maybe something as simple as this would work...

dialog --cr-wrap --backtitle "Screen Resolution" \
       --title "Choose Max Screen Resolution" --menu \
       "Select your desired maximum screen resolution from the list below." \
       20 75 9 \
       "1" "1920x1440" \
       "2" "1856x1392" \
       "3" "1792x1344" \
       "4" "1600x1200" \
       "5" "1280x960" \
       "6" "1152x864" \
       "7" "1024x768" \
       "8" "800x600" \
       "9" "640x480" \
2> $DEXTERTMPDIR/prompt

RESOLUTIONS=$(echo "1920x1440" "1856x1392" "1792x1344" "1600x1200" \
"1280x960" "1152x864" "1024x768" "800x600" "640x480" | \
cut --delim=' ' --fields=$(cat $DEXTERTMPDIR/prompt)- \
$DEXTERTMPDIR/Resolutions)

....but I'm not really used to dialog. Or shell scripts. Or...

But apart from these problems, Xnest crashing, and some DRI-related issues
(which I shouldn't bring up here anyway), X has been working flawlessly. My
thanks to the XFree86 team, Branden, and whoever else is making this
possible.

Torbjörn Andersson