Re: X totally freezes

On Fri, Sep 22, 2000 at 11:53:45AM +0100, Dave wrote:
> I've put the version 7 betas onto my woody box (Cyrix 166+, 96Mb RAM and a
> Mystique 2Mb card) and since then X crashes at reasonably unexpected times,
> freezing the whole machine so that even Alt-SysRq can't sync the disks or
> reboot - although a SAK does something before total destrucion sets in (not
> recoverable though). Needless to say, XFree 3.3 didn't do anything like that.
>
> There don't appear to be any logs of what happened, but this may be because
> the disks don't sync before I have to manually hard boot the system. I suspect
> this is an X problem rather than a Debian X one, but thought I'd write to the
> list just in case someone has any idea what's up.

Hm... happened to me a couple of times too. My screen becomes black, with
just a little of some screen garbage in the lower right corner.

I originally blamed 2.4.0.9.4 kernel, and if not that, then NVIDIA non-free
drivers  maybe conflicting with latest X cvs changes,
but since you've reported it, I started to doubt in X itself.

I'm using phase2v5 by the way.

Vedran Rodic