X totally freezes

I've put the version 7 betas onto my woody box (Cyrix 166+, 96Mb RAM and a
Mystique 2Mb card) and since then X crashes at reasonably unexpected times,
freezing the whole machine so that even Alt-SysRq can't sync the disks or
reboot - although a SAK does something before total destrucion sets in (not
recoverable though). Needless to say, XFree 3.3 didn't do anything like that.

There don't appear to be any logs of what happened, but this may be because
the disks don't sync before I have to manually hard boot the system. I suspect
this is an X problem rather than a Debian X one, but thought I'd write to the
list just in case someone has any idea what's up.

Thanks for any responses,

-Dave