Re: X totally freezes

> On Fri, Sep 22, 2000 at 11:53:45AM +0100, Dave wrote:
> > I've put the version 7 betas onto my woody box (Cyrix 166+, 96Mb RAM and a
> > Mystique 2Mb card) and since then X crashes at reasonably unexpected times,
> > freezing the whole machine so that even Alt-SysRq can't sync the disks or
> > reboot - although a SAK does something before total destrucion sets in (not
> > recoverable though). Needless to say, XFree 3.3 didn't do anything like that.
> >
> > There don't appear to be any logs of what happened, but this may be because
> > the disks don't sync before I have to manually hard boot the system. I suspect
> > this is an X problem rather than a Debian X one, but thought I'd write to the
> > list just in case someone has any idea what's up.
>
> Hm... happened to me a couple of times too. My screen becomes black, with
> just a little of some screen garbage in the lower right corner.
>
> I originally blamed 2.4.0.9.4 kernel, and if not that, then NVIDIA non-free
> drivers  maybe conflicting with latest X cvs changes,
> but since you've reported it, I started to doubt in X itself.
>
> I'm using phase2v5 by the way.
>
> Vedran Rodic

Hi,
im experiancing similar problems, my machine is a 2x500 celeron 192Mb ram and a dimod viper 770 ultra (TNT2 Ultra). I had no problems with the Xfree drivers, the nvidia driver however hangs my machine pretty bad, the screen stop getting signal and the box stop sespond to ping.

I had the exacly same problem erlier when i compiled "Video mode selection support" in my kernel. 2.2.16 i think that was.

I havent compiled in APM since its at SMP system and i disabled all power manegment in my bios (its a Abit bp6 mobo).

Anyone have a theory on this. could it have something to do whith agp drivers or something? I havent done any agp configuring in the kernel.

/Andreas