Re: FONT PROBLEMS! XF4-phase1 debs, v8 -> v11, mga, 16 bpp

On Tue, Aug 15, 2000 at 09:40:26AM -0500, Thomas E. Vaughan wrote:
> My understanding is that there are
>
>      (1) an mga kernel module and
>      (2) an mga (X) server module, also known as the mga driver.

That's correct, if you're using direct rendering.

You don't need a kernel module for your video hardware if you're just using
good-old fashioned non-framebuffer console support and no direct rendering.

> Are you saying that I shouldn't be using the stock 2.4.0-test6 kernel
> module and should rather be using the kernel module from the dri project's
> cvs repository?  If so, then does Branden include in his debs the relevant
> kernel module (either as compiled for some versions of the kernel or as
> source code)?

No, the Linux kernel modules are not maintained by XFree86 as far as I know.

(One exception is the agpgart module for kernel 2.2; but that's not a video
driver per se.)

> Or are you saying that Branden's server module, the mga driver mga_drv, is
> inconsistent with the rest of the patched XFree 4.0.1 that Branden
> distributes in his latest debs.

It sounds like that is what happened.  Sorry, I guess tracking XFree86 CVS
has its drawbacks as well.

--
G. Branden Robinson             |    Q: How does a Unix guru have sex?
Debian GNU/Linux                |    A: unzip;strip;touch;finger;mount;fsck;