Re: FONT PROBLEMS! XF4-phase1 debs, v8 -> v11, mga, 16 bpp

On Tue, Aug 15, 2000 at 09:25:50AM +0200, Marcelo E. Magallon wrote:

>  Use the mga driver provided by Braden's packages, and use the mga driver
>  out of DRI's CVS (doesn't matter which X server you use, either DRI's or
>  the one in the packages will do).  Load the mga module in the kernel and
>  start the X server in 16 bpp mode (this only happens if the server is
>  working in direct mode, that's why you need 16 fbbpp mode).  If you use
>  both the DRI's driver and dri module, or the package's, this won't
>  happen.  I guess this is not a suprise since DRI is working on top of
>  4.0.1's codebase and not the 4.0.1+ patched one found in the packages.

Thank you for your efforts to help me understand what is happening.
Embarrassingly for me, I don't understand precisely what you are saying.

My understanding is that there are

     (1) an mga kernel module and
     (2) an mga (X) server module, also known as the mga driver.

Are you saying that I shouldn't be using the stock 2.4.0-test6 kernel
module and should rather be using the kernel module from the dri project's
cvs repository?  If so, then does Branden include in his debs the relevant
kernel module (either as compiled for some versions of the kernel or as
source code)?

Or are you saying that Branden's server module, the mga driver mga_drv, is
inconsistent with the rest of the patched XFree 4.0.1 that Branden
distributes in his latest debs.

--
Thomas E. Vaughan <thomas.vaughan@nssl.noaa.gov>
CIMMS/NSSL, Norman, OK, USA