Re: FONT PROBLEMS! XF4-phase1 debs, v8 -> v11, mga, 16 bpp

On Mon, Aug 14, 2000 at 01:15:25PM -0500, Thomas E. Vaughan wrote:
> I just returned from vacation, and so I thought that I would upgrade my v8
> debs to v11.  What I discovered, however, is that the v11 debs are unusable
> for me because font drawing is all screwed up in 15-bpp and 16-bpp depths
> for the mga driver.
>
> 8-bpp and 24-bpp depths work fine, but I need 16 bpp in order to get
> hardware acceleration for OpenGL.  Downgrading to v8 solved the problem for
> the time being.
>
> The problem that I observe in 16-bpp mode with the v11 debs is that most
> characters appear grayed out, and, for example, some ghost characters
> appear frozen in place while I scroll using '/usr/bin/less' in an xterm
> window.

Well, this sounds like screechingly loud evidence of upstream breakage.

I've been tracking XFree86 CVS, so the post-v8 breakage you saw was
probably due to that.

Please consider reporting your problem to XFree86.  Once we have official
4.x .debs, you can file upstream bugs through the Debian BTS again.

--
G. Branden Robinson             |    Never underestimate the power of human
Debian GNU/Linux                |    stupidity.