Re: Let's stop using CVS for debian.org website

在 2016年11月24日星期四 SGT 下午3:10:45,Rhonda D'Vine 写道:
Hi,

>  You are probably not having to fight with harddisk space and probably
> also have a good network connection.  That's not the case for people
> around the world, and I would be very disappointed if we cut people off
> from contributing from less developed countries.

I would admit the new plan (a whole git repository) will make those people's
life harder. That's why we are discussing here to find an acceptable plan that
is still better than current CVS.

Maybe we could split the whole webwml directory into submodules according to
languages. For translators, they just don't need files other than his/her
working language (except English). Translators (who never run "make" command)
don't need to know anything about `git submodule' command. Submodules can have
their own history and permission control. For global admins, `git submodule'
is not *that* difficult to use. I think this might be another acceptable plan.

However, submodules could make the maintenance and build scripts even more
complicated, which still needs investigation.

As for commits on shallow clones, those commits can be made, but they cannot
be pushed onto the server. One will have to use `git format-patch' and have
the patches applied onto repositories which have full history, perhaps with
the help of others.

--
Sincerely,
Boyuan Yang