Re: Let's stop using CVS for debian.org website

在 2016年11月24日星期四 SGT 上午12:44:52,Osamu Aoki 写道:
> Yah... we all know this.  But CVS has a technical advantage.  -- Ease of
> partial checkout and commit from there.
>
> Normally, no translator needs full archive.  He only needs his language
> PO files and English to translate and test build them.
>
> Yes, with careful submodule design, this may become manageable with Git.
> So if you push this agenda, please pay attention to people with the
> lower bandwidth access at the archive.

Yeah, I am aware of the problem of full checkout of Git. That said, I am a bit
suprised about pretty many people (>=3) emphasizing about low bandwidth
problem.

I have somehow got used to `git clone' a big git repository and go around and
have a cup of tea during the clone process. Actually this won't be a problem
once the full git clone is done. Every operation afterwards is incremental and
won't cost much bandwidth or network traffic. That means if any newcomer wants
to join the website translation, all he/she needs to do is find a place to
clone full history and start working happily after that. Finally git has a
shallow clone feature, which can greatly reduce the initial network traffic
needs.

I just tried again, and retrieving the whole bare git repository for webwml
would download 212.35 MiB. The 1-depth shallow git clone would download 70.79
MiB. Sounds acceptable.

P.S. If we do want partial checkout, why not switch to SVN? :p

--
Sincerely
Boyuan Yang