Re: Let's stop using CVS for debian.org website

* Steve McIntyre <steve@einval.com> [2016-11-23 18:12:32 CET]:
> On Thu, Nov 24, 2016 at 12:21:56AM +0800, Boyuan Yang wrote:
> >Just set up there days before and will automatically import from CVS
> >repository every day 4:58 AM (CST). Only for testing.
>
> Excellent, thanks.
>
> OK, I've just captured and counted the traffic from cloning/checking
> out complete copies, using wireshark.
>
> 235MB     git clone https://github.com/debiancn/debian.org.git
>  79MB     cvs -d :extssh:93sam@cvs.debian.org:/cvs/webwml checkout webwml
>
> So there *is* a download difference for initial checkout, yes. Much
> harder to be sure about later changes and updates, though...

 Thanks for those numbers, Steve!  Not much of a surprise, I considered
a lot of the reasons brought forward marketing blabla. :)

 Still supportive of git switch, but we need to find a solution to allow
translators to contribute without full checkouts.  Is there any free
software git hosting project that offers web edit like github does?
What happened to gitorious, does the gitlab community edition offer
that?  Doesn't seem so - anyone knows of something that offers that?

 So long,
Rhonda