Re: New website layout feedback

On 15:37 Tue 29 Mar, Luís Picciochi Oliveira wrote:
> Hello!
>

> On 21 March 2011 18:07, Francesca Ciceri <madamezou@yahoo.it> wrote:
>

> > Hi Luís,
> > thank you for your nice email.
> >

> No problem, I really liked the surprise! :)
>

> > I'm working on some little fixes for the website, and it would be great if
> > you
> > could send us the Debian logo with the fade effect "fixed" as seen
> > on the attachment of your mail.

[..]
> It is the background of the "breadcrumbs" bar that makes it look a bit odd
> with the transition to white on the left, near the logo. That breadcrumbs
> bar goes down when the text is increased and so that darker background goes
> lower with a different text size. Actually, when the text size is very huge
> and the Debian logo is above the breadcrumbs bar, it doesn't look bad at all
> (if one ignores the very huge text). This makes me think that if the logo
> was always always on the very top of the page, probably that transition
> wouldn't look as bad.
>
> This is hard to explain by e-mail, please tell me if you can't understand
> something. :\
>
> Regards,
>   Pitxyoki

Hi Pitxyoki,

As far as I understand your comment it is the contrast between the
breadcrumb bar and the background that concerns you. The breadbcrumb bar
was indeed intended to be a bar with a different tone than the
background gradient. The difference in shade is slight but defined by
the borders. Depending on your screen settings the bar may be more or
less distinguishable from the gradient. Your font size does also (as you
have noticed) change the relationship between the bar and the gradient
as it pushes the bar up or down along the gradient. Increasing or
decreasing the contrast

Your concern may be solved by making the breadcrumb bar darker as that
would avoid any confusion about whether it is a bar. Another way would
be to move the gradient up to make percieved contrase higher. My
personal opinion is that that borders are enough and that a very subtle
change in colour between the gradient and the bar is a good thing. I did
various tests increasing and decreasing the contrast before I went for
the option currently on the website. Check the website out on a few
other computers to see how it varies.

Adding a background to the logo would as you have noticed cause all
sorts of problems as the logo would be 'out of sync' with the background
at all font sized but one.

Your suggestion to lock the logo to the top would affect pages where
there are search or login links above the navbar. At large font sizes
the search bar would cut into the text of the navbar. The website is
designed to scale with font sizes, this makes some things harder to
achieve but it also allows people to choose their preferred font size
without breaking the site.

Hope the above explains some of the behaviour and appearance you are
observing. If you are still concerned I would recommend testing the
stylesheet and moving the gradient up (negative value in the background
position) or changing the tone of the bar (can be done in gimp for
testing purpuses)

It's great that you found an issue and investigated it, if you do
further tests it would be great if you let us know the results.

Regards,
Kalle