Re: update of DDP related web pages (phase 1)

On Mon, Feb 07, 2011 at 10:49:24PM +0000, Steve McIntyre wrote:
> In future, it would be nice to maybe re-think what we put on which
> CDs. Some people have suggested having a separate CD for docs, which
> I'll admit I'm not such a fan of for a variety of reasons. I'm tempted
> to suggest that we might only put the HTML versions of the
> installation guide and release notes on the CDs (omitting the PDFs),
> but put all the versions on DVD. Or something; what do you think? This
> might be a useful route for the squeeze point releases.

I would go for (if possible):

- HTML version + gzipped TXT in CDs
- all versions (PDF, TXT and HTML) in DVDs

I know you are not a fan of putting all in a separate 'documentation CD' but
doing that has several advantages:

- we could update the documentation throughout the release without having to
  rebuild the CDs/DVDs
- documentation size (both of formats and number of translations) would not
  affect the initial install
- we could add additional documentation, e.g. updated versions of the
  Debian's Reference, New Maintainer's Guide or Securing Manual and their
  translations.

On the last point, it might be interesting to note that much of the
documentation is updated *post* release and the people using the available
packages in the CDs or DVDs are left with out of date documentation most of
the time.

How much size is the documentation occupying nowadays anyway?

Regards

Javier