Re: Request NOT to remove outdated translations from the website by removing files from CVS

On Sun, Aug 08, 2010 at 01:07:07PM +0200, Gerfried Fuchs wrote:
> 	Hi!

Hi there!

> > What's worst, translators working in CVS do not have an easy way to recover
> > removed/purged pages from CVS. It takes quite a lot of work (simplified only
> > with shell access to cvs.debian.org) to review which CVS files have been
> > moved to the Attic, and how outdated they were.
>
>  *This* seems to be the only convincing argument in your mail - and I'd
> rather like to have this addressed from a different angle of enabling
> the copypage tool to check for a version in the attic instead of blindly
> copying the english page, and for maybe also another tool that adds a
> list of pages moved to attic to the statistic overview. Because that
> would actually *help* to get those pages current again. Not having them
> removed for endlessly isn't the proper approach IMHO.

Where are the scripts that generate the stats at
http://www.debian.org/devel/website/stats/? I can try to take a look at them
to see how to include the Attic information there too.

On copypage: you have a good point there, I have worked on it this afternoon
in order for it to warn translators when a copy exists:

- in the Attic, i.e. it has been removed
- in CVS but not in his copy, i.e. his CVS copy is out of date

I've commited the changes to CVS and also updated
devel/website/translating.wml to document these new features.
Hopefully I have not broken anything.

> > In its current status the "purging" of outdated translations is really bad as
> > it moves the files to the CVS Attic and there is no log whatsoever (as far as
> > I know) that tracks which files where removed when. And no easy way to
> > recover for those that do not know the ins and outs of CVS.
>
>  Oh, the log of course is there, even a removal of a file is accompanied
> with a log message. I assume you haven't tried?

Yes, but parsing CVS logs is a pain, having a log of which pages had been
removed pages (per month) due to the cron script would have been better.

> > What's worst, the list of "translations that are going to be removed" (i.e.
> > http://people.debian.org/~peterk/outdated/ linked from
> > http://www.debian.org/devel/website/uptodate) is not even current!
>
>  Then this also needs to get addressed, thanks for the information. Oh,
> and btw., at the end of the page is linked "How to revive a deleted
> translation" so the information about how to do that isn't that obscure
> or hidden, you actually were able to find it. :)

Yes, at the end of Peter's page is how to revive the translations. I missed
that link. But this should actually be at the end of the "Keeping web site
translations up-to-date" page or in the translating page.

[ Minutes later...]

Done, now it's documented where it should be, I added a new 'Reviving
outdated translations' to http://www.debian.org/devel/website/translating

Now, the only thing I'm still missing is a monthly reminder to translation
teams. I guess I can set that up for my own translation team (spanish) but it
would be nice to have this for all translation teams setup in a consistent
way (remember our pull vs. push discussion 6 years ago?) :-)

Regards

Javier