Re: Request NOT to remove outdated translations from the website by removing files from CVS

On Sun, Aug 08, 2010 at 10:06:19PM +0200, Javier Fernández-Sanguino Peña wrote:
> On Sun, Aug 08, 2010 at 01:07:07PM +0200, Gerfried Fuchs wrote:
> > > What's worst, translators working in CVS do not have an easy way to recover
> > > removed/purged pages from CVS. It takes quite a lot of work (simplified only
> > > with shell access to cvs.debian.org) to review which CVS files have been
> > > moved to the Attic, and how outdated they were.
> >
> >  *This* seems to be the only convincing argument in your mail - and I'd
> > rather like to have this addressed from a different angle of enabling
> > the copypage tool to check for a version in the attic instead of blindly
> > copying the english page, and for maybe also another tool that adds a
> > list of pages moved to attic to the statistic overview. Because that
> > would actually *help* to get those pages current again. Not having them
> > removed for endlessly isn't the proper approach IMHO.
>
> Where are the scripts that generate the stats at
> http://www.debian.org/devel/website/stats/? I can try to take a look at them
> to see how to include the Attic information there too.

stattrans.pl at the webwml root (actually called from cron, parts/3stattrans.

> On copypage: you have a good point there, I have worked on it this afternoon
> in order for it to warn translators when a copy exists:
>
> - in the Attic, i.e. it has been removed
> - in CVS but not in his copy, i.e. his CVS copy is out of date

Thanks ! I hope that most translators really use copypage.pl.

[..]
> Now, the only thing I'm still missing is a monthly reminder to translation
> teams. I guess I can set that up for my own translation team (spanish) but it
> would be nice to have this for all translation teams setup in a consistent
> way (remember our pull vs. push discussion 6 years ago?) :-)

We have this for the french team (running on a non debian.org machine
though), using check_trans.plcheck_trans.pl (at webwml root).
It could be installed on www-master or i18n.debian.net (AFAIR, nekral
already did it and tested it).

--
Simon Paillard