Re: SummerOfCode2009/KDE-based-packagemanager

On Mon, 2010-05-10 at 14:20 -0400, Filipus Klutiero wrote:
> On 2010-05-09 08:51, Steve McIntyre wrote:
> > On Sat, May 08, 2010 at 11:33:08AM -0400, Filipus Klutiero wrote:
> >
> >> Hi Steve,
> >> you reverted my latest revision to
> >> SummerOfCode2009/KDE-based-packagemanager with the comment "Put the
> >> page back to where it has been for a year. Philippe: why are you
> >> changing this after a year?"
> >> I'm changing because nobody else did it in a year. See thread
> >> "wiki.d.o: SummerOfCode2009/KDE-based-packagemanager" on debian-www:
> >> http://lists.debian.org/debian-www/2009/04/msg00004.html
> >>
> > There was a clear answer there that your changes were not desired.
> What is your point?
> > The
> > "edit war" comment from Paul is entirely clear there - the wiki should
> > be a collaborative project and simply reverting over and over again to
> > force *your* changes to a page that somebody else has already worked
> > on is simply not a valid way to work.
> >
> No, edit wars have nothing to do with who the battling editors are
> and/or their relation to the page prior to war.

There are lots of ressource on the web, describing what a _wiki_ edit
war is, like:
  http://c2.com/cgi/wiki?EditWar

> >> I also started a topic on Wiki administration:
> >> http://lists.debian.org/debian-www/2010/05/msg00029.html
> >> ...no answers so far.
> >>
> >> Can I ask why you're changing this?
> >>
> > You have worked around a ban on changing the page in question to
> > simply go and repeat the exact behaviour that caused the ban in the
> > first place. If you can't understand why that's a problem then I don't
> > know what else to say to you.

I agree with Steve.

> I certainly can't understand (of course, I would understand if the first
> edit restriction was justified).

The restriction was justified. Edit war is not an acceptable way to
collaborate.

Once your edit was reverted, you should not have reverted again (see
[1]). Instead, you should have discussed about your changes.
BTW, writing in a wiki is like coding, it is a good idea to "split your
patch" so other people understand what you do and why you do it.

[1] http://c2.com/cgi/wiki?DeleteOnceRestoreOnce

> > > Please revert

This request just proves that you didn't get the point (yet).

/me is looking forward to get some useful contributions from you again.
(Meanwhile, I won't discuss this topic anymore)

Franklin