Re: Release announcement simplified Chinese translation update

Deng Xiyue <manphiz-guest@users.alioth.debian.org> writes:

> Anthony Wong <ypwong@gmail.com> writes:

>> UNDEFuZH@uCNuCNHKuCNTW:20090214.zh-cn.html.tmp@g+w -o
>> UNDEFuZH@uHKuCNHKuHKTW:20090214.zh-hk.html.tmp@g+w -o
>> UNDEFuZH@uTWuCNTWuHKTW:20090214.zh-tw.html.tmp@g+w --prolog=../../bin/
>> fix_big5.pl  20090214.wml
>> position 233

>>> OK, attached are the results for review.
>>>
>>> Build-Depends: zh-autoconvert
>>>
>>> To convert from Big5 into GB2312:
>>>        autob5 -o gb < 20090214.wml > 20090214_gb2312.wml
>>> To convert from Big5 into UTF-8:
>>>        autob5 -o utf8 < 20090214.wml > 20090214_zht_utf8.wml
>>> To convert from Big5 into simplified Chinese UTF-8:
>>>        autob5 -o gb < 20090214.wml | autogb -o utf8 > 20090214_zhs_utf8.wml
>>>
>>> I used the latter two commands to generate the attached files.
>>>
>>> The difference between iconv and zh-autoconvert is that iconv simply
>>> tries to convert the codepoints one to one and zh-autoconvert uses a
>>> dictionary to map traditional characters to their simplified
>>> counterparts. Since the database is quite old, it may not work for
>>> simplified <-> traditional mappings where simplified characters have
>>> been added later (GBK) or where the document contains HKSCS characters,
>>> which use the Big5 Private Use Area. Those characters cannot be converted.
>>> I have long wanted to create a new library where a full Unicode
>>> compatible mapping takes place. Unfortunately I don't have the time for
>>> that. But if there are any volunteers out there, I'm willing to
>>> coordinate such a project.
>>>
>>> Cheers
>>> Arne
>>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I have been thinking that using Big5 as the primary encoding for both
>> TC (Traditional Chinese) and SC (Simplified Chinese) versions of
>> Debian website are detrimental to user contributions. To summarize the
>> current situation of the Chinese versions of Debian website,
>> translations must be done in Big5 WML files, TC version is basically
>> converted simply from WML to HTML, but to generate the SC versions,
>> Big5 files must be converted to GB2312 first. It is done so due to the
>> one-to-many SC-TC mappings problem. To deal with the differences of
>> terms for the same meaning in TC and SC, like 文件 and 檔案, we use a
>> simple mapping table written in Perl and for some terms that are
>> rarely used, inline WML substitution syntax is used, like [CN:文
>> 件:][HKTW:檔案:].
>>
>> This puts a hurdle for SC users to submit translations to Debian,
>> because they write in SC but then have to use whatever method to
>> convert it to Big5 for submission. And there is also the possibility
>> that the converted Big5 file may not contain proper TC
>> words/phrases. It also gives people the impression that SC
>> contributors are treated like "second-class citizens" (am I too
>> sensitive?).  Not to mention that Big5 and GB2312 are both considered
>> as outdated encodings now and should better be replaced by UTF-8, to
>> make the same file accessible to both TC and SC users.

> [...]

By example, instead of Anthony Wang's [CN:文件:][HKTW:檔案:] which does
require differentiate, I mean this one:

我們將[CN:盡最大努力:][HKTW:力盡所能:]

As least in China mainland, both versions are used, so that I guess it
can be unified to "力盡所能" :)

Regards,
Deng Xiyue