Re: number format should be localized

*Giuseppe* wrote:
>>> I am wondering if this number could be formatted according to the
>>> page locale. In Italian it should be 25.113 while it is 25113.
>> Absolutely I don't agree.
>> In 1982 Sandro Pertini (former President of Italian Republic) signed
>> a law that oblige everyone to use the International System (in Italy,
>> of course). (*)
>> According to CGPM (**) dot "." and comma "," are ONLY a decimal
>> separator and NEVER a thousand separator.
>>[...]
> while I might agree with you on what should be used as separators (and
> I'm not, currently),

There is noting to agree.
The official thousand separator is " " in the whole Earth (but it can be
omitted).
Any other type is not correct, as stated in the international
agreements.
I know that often in English-US you can find "," and in Italian ".", but
it is definitively wrong.
There is a law. There a treaty. Nothing to think, just to enjoy everyone
to use the same symbols to avoid confusion.
After centuries of different units we have one official system. Why
don't use it, especially when there is a law that obliged to use it?

It seems the bad attitude to use "R: " instead of "Re: " in some
mailreaders translated to Italian (e.g. Microsoft Outlook Express,
Libero webmail, AOL webmail and so on).
RFC says "Re: " then let's use "Re: ". Don't waste time with non
conforming syntax!

>> I am not asking here to use a peculiar one just for
>> web pages.
>> My question is about supporting locales for formatting these numbers
>> related to quantities on our web pages.

Yes, this could be a right question, but the International System of
measure is *one*, so you shouldn't care about it.
Just use one kind of format for every version of webpage.

Please note that this agreement about thousand separator was signed
about 60 years ago. This is not new!

> Then, if you think Italian locale is wrong in Debian, please submit a
> bug report against the relevant package.

What is the relevant package?
However Etch's /usr/share/i18n/locales/it_IT (not yet switched to Lenny)
shows:
| LC_NUMERIC
| decimal_point             "<U002C>"
| thousands_sep             ""
| grouping                  0;0
| END LC_NUMERIC
which is correct, since the thousand separator is not mandatory.

Regards,
Alberto