Re: number format should be localized

*Giuseppe* wrote:
I am wondering if this number could be formatted according to the page
locale. In Italian it should be 25.113 while it is 25113.

Absolutely I don't agree.
In 1982 Sandro Pertini (former President of Italian Republic) signed a law that oblige everyone to use the International System (in Italy, of course). (*) According to CGPM (**) dot "." and comma "," are ONLY a decimal separator and NEVER a thousand separator.
The official thousand separator is the space " ", but it can be omitted.
So, according to international agreements, the correct number should be "25 113" or "25113". Most Italian people make this kind of mistake, because the former thousand separator was the upper point (a dot put in a position similar to apostrophe), a type which is not present of the common keyboard. IMHO this is not a sufficient excuse. We have some universal convention that makes works in every kind of science simpler. I don't think that Debian should break it, so please don't use that wrong syntax.
Regards,
Alberto

(*) I can post the law, but obviously it's in italian
(**) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/General_Conference_on_Weights_and_Measures
and http://www.bipm.org/jsp/en/ViewCGPMResolution.jsp?CGPM=22&RES=10
"declares that the symbol for the decimal marker shall be either the point on the line or the comma on the line, reaffirms that "Numbers may be divided in groups of three in order to facilitate reading; neither dots nor commas are ever inserted in the spaces between groups", as stated in Resolution 7 of the 9th CGPM, 1948."
Spazio INFINITO per i tuoi messaggi con AOL email! Registrati ora gratis