Re: wiki.debian.org/doc/packagename/readme.debian ?

>  > >  However, if DD were interested in maintaining that file on the wiki (which
>  > >  is probably what you have in mind), I would find it very suitable.
>  > >  Of course, only the packages actually updating the README from the wiki
>  > >  should be published on the wiki.
>  >
>  > I'm not sure what would need to happen process wise to enable
>  > Developers to use wiki page to collaborate their readme and
>  > readme.debian.
>
>  Making DD's life easier would unsure quick adoption. May be :
>  - A set of scripts for the DD to retrieve and update the wiki page.
>   (that might later be included in debhelper)

Making a download script wouldn't be hard. Upload on the other hand
would have to somehow be automated triggered by some event. Update
script needs access to the wiki files. aka needs to be run from the
same server.  How would I get access to wiki server if one wanted to
implement this?

What could that event be? New version?

>  - A page with some guidelines for contributors.
>  - Provide a good template (actually, a wiki-page header, with link to
>   package page, )

Do you have a link of example wiki page header I could use?

>  - RFC and Announce it on debian-devel ml.
>

>  > We could definitely upload and download it.
>  I'm not sure what you mean... i guess "we"= "the DD"
>

>  My major concern is that such pages would have to be maintained : In two
>  years time, we would have a problem of knowing what to do with the
>  pages.
>  If the page have been modified (and we hope they would), what should we
>  do about it ? How could we know that the package have been updated by
>  the maintainer ?

How is the package released? If new package has a new release
number/version number we could track the new package and know to
upload the readme file. If I somehow would be able to tell there is a
new version I can overwrite the wiki page.

>  Should we update the wiki-page with the latest DD's README.Debian ?
>

>  > >  What about URIs like this ?
>  > >   http://wiki.debian.org/pkg/ant/README.Debian
>  >
>  > I'll modify the script to make it so.
>  > How things change from stable to testing?,  maybe
>  > http://wiki.debian.org/etch/pkg/ant/README.Debian or
>  > http://wiki.debian.org/stable/pkg/ant/README.Debian ?
>
>  The page should be for development (i.e "unstable") only since
>  DebianStable package is unlikely to be updated for a mere README update.

Good point. In that case I would upload stable/testing with readonly
access and ustable would be the one people could modify, allow
somekind of suggestions.
In that case:

http://wiki.debian.org/sid/pkg/ant/README.Debian
or
http://wiki.debian.org/sid/ant/README.Debian

As far as bugs that Kevin Mentioned. All of them talk either about
readme, readme.debian or changelog,news, todo files. We could
definitely include these files on a wiki, and link to them from
packages.debina.org but take the readme to next level.

What is the difference in structure in pool/main/c/coreutils/current/
vs stable,testing,unstable?

Lucas