Re: wiki.debian.org/doc/packagename/readme.debian ?

On Tue, 2008-05-06 at 12:59 -0500, Lukasz Szybalski wrote:
> On Tue, May 6, 2008 at 3:59 AM, Franklin PIAT <fpiat@bigfoot.com> wrote:
> > Hi Lucas,
> >

> >  On Tue, May 6, 2008 05:24, Lukasz Szybalski wrote:
> >  > I am working on a script that would create a website page like this:
> >  >
> >  >  http://lucasmanual.com/mywiki/doc/ant/README.Debian
> >  >
> >  > This is an actual README.Debian from stable 'ant' package.
> >  >
> >  > Would wiki.debian.org be interested in having such a thing? aka have
> >  > all readme files available on a wiki?
> >
> >  If the purpose is to publish the README.Debian online, I'm not sure it's
> >  the most suitable place. I think a static page would be more suitable,
> >  like :
> >  http://sysinf0.klabs.be/usr/share/doc/ant/README.Debian?dist=etch
>
> Static pages could work if you only wanted to display them.

Of course

> >  However, if DD were interested in maintaining that file on the wiki (which
> >  is probably what you have in mind), I would find it very suitable.
> >  Of course, only the packages actually updating the README from the wiki
> >  should be published on the wiki.
>
> I'm not sure what would need to happen process wise to enable
> Developers to use wiki page to collaborate their readme and
> readme.debian.

Making DD's life easier would unsure quick adoption. May be :
- A set of scripts for the DD to retrieve and update the wiki page.
  (that might later be included in debhelper)
- A page with some guidelines for contributors.
- Provide a good template (actually, a wiki-page header, with link to
  package page, )
- RFC and Announce it on debian-devel ml.

> We could definitely upload and download it.
I'm not sure what you mean... i guess "we"= "the DD"

My major concern is that such pages would have to be maintained : In two
years time, we would have a problem of knowing what to do with the
pages.
If the page have been modified (and we hope they would), what should we
do about it ? How could we know that the package have been updated by
the maintainer ?
Should we update the wiki-page with the latest DD's README.Debian ?

> I think if DD decided to maintain the readme on wiki and somehow
> allow users to provide suggestions (additional useful info) then
> these readme files could become even more useful.

I agree.

> Right now my main goal was to provide them online as sometimes the
> readme has some important information that google can't find (have
> readme online) and sometimes google has better instructions then
> readme.(allow for some colaboration)
>

> >  What about URIs like this ?
> >   http://wiki.debian.org/pkg/ant/README.Debian
>
> I'll modify the script to make it so.
> How things change from stable to testing?,  maybe
> http://wiki.debian.org/etch/pkg/ant/README.Debian or
> http://wiki.debian.org/stable/pkg/ant/README.Debian ?

The page should be for development (i.e "unstable") only since
DebianStable package is unlikely to be updated for a mere README update.

Franklin