Re: wiki.debian.org/doc/packagename/readme.debian ?

Lukasz Szybalski wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I am working on a script that would create a website page like this:
>
>  http://lucasmanual.com/mywiki/doc/ant/README.Debian
>  or
>  http://lucasmanual.com/mywiki/usr/share/doc/ant/README.Debian
>
> This is an actual README.Debian from stable 'ant' package.
>
> Would wiki.debian.org be interested in having such a thing? aka have
> all readme files available on a wiki?

Hi Lukasz,

That would be very nice!  I question whether the wiki would be the best
place for it, though.  It's something that it seems to me would be
better served in a fully automatic way from packages.debian.org.

There is already some functionality like this for Debian changelogs and
copyright files, see for instance
http://packages.debian.org/changelogs/pool/main/c/coreutils/current/

I don't know what script is used to generate these files (nor who is
responsible for that script), but I imagine it wouldn't be too hard for
it to also output the README.Debian files there.

It's also worth mentioning that some similar requests have been made in
the past: #264589 (man pages), #391359 (upstream changelogs), #419201
(NEWS.Debian files), and these merged bugs that ask for *all* package
files to be available for individual download: #148554, #162330, #398942.

best regards,

--
Kevin B. McCarty <kmccarty@gmail.com>
WWW: http://www.starplot.org/