Re: apt-get vs Aptitude -> use aptitude.

On Thu, March 20, 2008 08:52, Don Armstrong wrote:
> On Thu, 20 Mar 2008, Franklin PIAT wrote:
>> My rational is that some setup runs apt* updates automatically.
>
> Huh?
I'm not absolutely sure wich one does, but probably some of : cron-apt,
update-notifier and  apt (/etc/cron.daily/apt). It probably depends on
their configuration.

>> If a user later use "aptitude install foo", it would install those
>> updates too, which leads the user to wonder "Why is that installing
>> verytinyhttpdaemon requires downloading 20Mb and tens of packages ?"
>> (ok my figures are overestimated, but you get the idea;)
>
> It won't unless you mark those packages for upgrading.

You are right. Using "aptitude install foo" is just fine.

My mistake come from the fact that I synchronise /root/.aptitude/config on
all my systems... which has "Auto-Upgrade" set to true.

Sorry for the noise.

Franklin