Re: Switching from CVS to something else

On Tue, Aug 21, 2007 at 08:52:48AM +0200, Raphael Hertzog wrote:
> On Mon, 20 Aug 2007, Jens Seidel wrote:
> > The history will *not* be lost! cvs2svn keeps it. But I read about a
> > little problem with properties which could causes problems with a
> > Windows client.
>
> What problem?

I read about some trouble converting Boost from CVS to SVN. See e.g.
IIRC the svn:mime-type property was set wrong which made TortoiseSVN
fail. I do not remember reading about a conclusion but the maintainer
suspected he made an error.

Nevertheless this should not be a big problem for us. First it may be no
problem in cvs2svn. Seconds nobody using a free system would use
TortoiseSVN, right? Third, most files in CVS are ordinary text files. It
should not be hard to check all files which a mime type set ...

I converted two years ago a project from RCS to CVS to SVN and had no
problem at all. It really worked fine without any trouble.

> > Also it easier to do a backup of the repository. It should no longer
> > require admin rights IIRC.
>
> Any (CVS) repository can be easily backupped with tar and without admin
> right. I don't see your point here.

Right, once you have access to the box ... I haven't access to
www-master, ...

Jens